Tuesday, June 25, 2013

straty na hovno! Pete's Pumpkin Patch Soda, Sioux City Prickly Pear

That's Slovakian for "losing sucks" in honor of Big Z's "where was I" in the finals night last night.

Anyway, I didn't jump from bridges or anything. I can even manage to say: Congrats Blackhawks.


Pete's Pumpkin Patch Soda: Another Rocket Fizz product. Opening scent, I suppose I'd say mild cinnamon, but overall, just has that spicy smells of things cooked in the fall like, well, pumpkin pie. Taste is a little odd. Its not bad odd, just odd. I get no pumpkin flavor, but its true to the scent spicy fall. Had me thinking about New England fall colors. Another won't kill myself, but can see buying this again in the fall.








Sioux City Prickly Pear: Think I'll give you Sioux City's history since there's more flavor's left to try, and I'll be giving history on others today, and an idea about this flavor.
     The prickly pear is a fruit from cactus, specifically the opuntia family or paddle cacti. The fruit, commonly referred to as cactus fruit or Indian fig fruin (also tuna in Spanish. Imagine asking for a tuna sandwich and being served prickly pear). The fruit has to be pealed carefully, as it also has spines, which if ingested can cause irritation of the mouth, throat and tongue. Let's just state the obvious. In Malta its used to make an alcoholic drink, bajtra. Also the main ingredient in a popular Christmas drink of the British Virgin Islands, Miss Blygen. The gel from breaking open one of the flat leaves can be used as a hair conditioner and as wound and burn care. Mexican were among the first to discover the fermenting of prickly pears. Psychoactive compounds, such as mescaline, can be found in some varieties of prickly pear.
     The soda itself has a very pleasant fruity odor when opened. I'd say cherry scent dominates. First sip- tart! That's the first thought! I'd say its a combination of cherry and strawberry. But certainly not a sweet flavor. Aftertaste isn't much different, tart and fruity. I wouldn't call this a bad soda, I would say this is a be prepared soda. I wasn't prepared for the tartness. One thing I found on line was a prickly pear float, like a root beer float, and that sounds, after the tasting really really good. I know I'll be buying at least one more to try the float, and I'd drink it, just not sure I would be it regularly. 


No comments: