Sunday, June 23, 2013

Cucumber soda, Ale81, Sprecher's Blueberry,



Bonus! Three today, but I'll explain-


Cucumber soda: I usually try and put the maker or bottler as well, but this one, I'm just not sure. Matching it with an image on line, I think its Rocket Fizz brand. Usually I'd go through scent, scent and all that. But I also promised I would completely drink every bottle. Besides wanting to give every soda a fair shake, weird soda is pricey. Essentially $2 for a 12 oz bottle. This soda made me break all my promises. I know I'm still relatively new in the soda tasting and review world, but this one. Oh my. One sip and I had problem swallowing. Second sip I spit out, and promptly poured the rest on the ground. Want to know how bad? When I poured it out on the ground, it gathered up in a little puddle. A fly came up to the puddle, and then what I assume tried to drink it, and flew off. Ever put this down in front of me, I will cause you great pain, bad pain.





Ale 81 (A late one): Near as I can tell, comes from Ale 81 company (brewer?). History time!  The only soft drink invented in Kentucky still in existence (not sure if KY is some hot bed of soda). G. L. Wainscott, had legal issues with Roxa Cola that his company bottled. Meantime he had begun experimenting with ginger and ginger ales, after trips to Northern Europe. Ale 81 was released publicly in 1926. In was named by a contest held at Clark County Fair, and it supposed to represent its being the latest thing. The flavor is supposed to a mix of ginger and fruits. Ale 81 is still bottled in KY. Its popular in KT, Ohio and Indiana. You can still tour the plant today. Its also another soda that has multiple products: Ale 81 BBQ sauce, salsa and lollipops. There is a diet Ale 81 as well. 

Scent is a distinctly ginger, but I'd say mild. I wish I could say there is something unique and different tasting about All 81, but it drank and tasted like any other ginger ale I've had. Only difference, while not an after taste, a moment or two after swallowing there was that gingery burn. Nowhere near a ginger beer, but still there. I'd drink it again, but won't especially go out of my way to buy more. 


Sprecher's Blueberry Gourmet Soda: Sprecher's again. Since I gave one history lesson above, I spare you, since there are more Sprecher's soda's to taste.


This is another Sprecher soda that nailed it. I often find with blueberry soda, the taste ends up being more tart grape than blueberry. Not this one. Smells like blueberry, and tastes like blueberry. Is tart, but still a very pleasant taste. After taste is that of blueberry. I'll be buying again.




No comments: