Friday, June 14, 2013

The start... Empire Bottling Works Spruce Beer, Natural Brew Vanilla Cream

Some of you know, I started a sort of weird little hobby. I sit outside, relax on my porch, and drink different, odd, even weird sodas (pop for some parts of the country), so I figured well, might as well spend some extra time on my hobby, and this blog was born. So the reviews are normal, the sodas are not

Lots in my life that I could comment on besides soda, but what's done is done. Is what it is.

First few posts are likely to be frequent and longer (as in more sodas described), as I catch up on what I've tried already. End of the month, likely to be fewer posts. Unfortunately, this is an expensive hobby. Most soda is about $2 a bottle and they are pretty much all glass, so shipping can be almost as expensive as the soda. I could spend more, but I'm trying to limit myself to $100-$150 a month. And all of these despite names are non-alcoholic. Most will be caffeine free. If I ever find a good stars or such graphic, I'll add 5 stars, 4 stars and so on. A note on smells: Having PD my sense of smell is limited. I have to practically jam the bottle up my nose to smell. But my stress level has gone down so I'm finding I do have a bit of smell left. 

So all that said, here we go:


Have to start with my favorite: Empire Bottling Works Spruce Beer. When I order soda, this one always has multiple bottles. Started me on this path. Its is supposed to be elusive to purchase, but right now, I've had no issues. Open up and bottle and there is a clean evergreen scent. How to describe the flavor. Well, if you can imagine drinking a sweetened spruce tree, that would nail it. Its an earthy flavor drink, goes down smooth with a very clean after taste. Always order extra and can't see not doing this every month.(1)













Natural Brew Vanilla Creme soda: And yes, that's how they spell it, creme. Didn't have to send for this one, comes from my local grocery store. Interesting fact about this one: made with bourbon vanilla extract. Great scent, really draws you in. Tastes like a standard creme, but has this great twist. And yes the twist is a hint of bourbon. Adds to the flavor without being overwhelming. Very smooth, very pleasant after taste. Would highly recommend this. Not an overwhelmingly sweet creme, just the right amount.(2)






I'll end for now, but lots more to come!! Have to catch up with what I've had already.

No comments: