Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Million Dollar Grape, Excel grape soda

Million Dollar Grape is made by Excel Bottling Company. Excel was started in 1936, by Edward "Lefty" Meier and Catherine Meier. The money to begin the company was a reward to Lefty for catching a bank robber. Lefty and Catherine passed away at age 97 and 99 respectively, both both were active in the business until their deaths. Excel is now run by family members, and prides itself on being a small "mom and pop" business. "Ski" is their most noted soda, a combination of orange and lemon. Interesting fact I found: I was looking through their web site and found this quote: "You may notice that some of (the bottles) do not have an Excel label on them. Because replacement bottles are no readily available, we use orphaned bottles from other companies that have gone out of business" But, the label on Million Dollar Grape is a stick on one piece label, so this may be an orphaned bottle, but Million Dollar grape should be an Excel product (found the company name on the stick on label). Doing more research, Million Dollar Grape was apparently named after being featured in the movie "Brewster's Millions". 

This was a decent soda. Only problem with it, I'm not sure if I did a blind taste test I could pick it out from other grape sodas. They all have that artificial grape smell and flavor, and aren't necessarily bad, but to me, if I eat a bunch of grapes, its not the same taste as a grape soda.  So its not a bad soda, just not a distinctive soda. I'd drink again, but given cost, I'll go buy a Fanta grape that's cheaper. 

No comments: