Thursday, July 4, 2013

Boylan Cane Cola

I went back through my posts, and don't see that I've had a Boylan's before. So....started in 1891 by pharmacist William Boylan, making "small batches" of soda. Boylan's prides itself on not having huge advertising campaigns, starting small and handcrafting sodas, and remaining that was through today. At one time they were in Moonachie, NJ, which has no relevance, except my thinking its a cool town name. Think they might be back there now. First product they were known for was birch beer (that's it. Had a Birch Beer long time ago, long enough that I want to drink one again and give it a fair review). They make a whole bunch of flavors, including Shirley Temple, Black Cherry, Clear and Red Birch Beer, Root beer, Cream, Grape and Orange. Make quite a few diet sodas too. Well, with a long storied history, and what they advertise on the bottle, since 1891, my expectations were high. Cola smell when opened, nothing special. The the taste. Oh my, that first taste is horrible!! Not that I ever tasted feces before, but this taste is what I imagine it would taste like. I've never spat out a first sip of a drink but this was close. I'm committed to finishing every bottle, and I was ready to guzzle this one. But something distracted my attention, I was just sipping the soda. By the end, it did have a cola taste. But I never want to experience that first sip again. Please, don't make me drink another!

No comments: