Friday, June 28, 2013

Johnnie Ryan Ginger Ale



Johnnie Ryan Ginger Ale- Made by the Johnnie Ryan Co. Inc. out of Niagara Falls, NY. Started in 1934 by the Janik brothers as the Keystone Water Company, that made special 5 gallon containers of "ozonization" waters. 1935, Coke decided to stop making flavored soft drinks and concentrate on cola. The Janik brothers saw an opportunity for a niche of flavored sodas. They initially called the sodas "Extra Soda" because it had an 8oz bottle, bigger than the common 6.5 at the time (In a society that sells 32oz glasses of soda at convenience stores, can you image the reaction today to a 6.5oz soda bottle?). The brothers thought that a more Irish sounding name would sell better. After many ideas were rejected, they came up with Johnnie Ryan for one of the brother's sons, John and Ryan. They moved through a couple of manufacturing plants, and other son's (not sure from which of the original brothers), Ron and Paul took over. They sell syrups for fountain machines, drink mixes to hotels and so on, in addition to soda. With the water and healthier living craze hit, they added a seltzer water to their products. The company is still in the Janik family. They have cherry, cream, cola, ginger ale, orange and root beer. Their current bottle labeling was designed by a tattoo artist.

I have to admit I was disappointed when I first went to open the bottle and looked at the cap. The cap is the only indication that this is ginger ale. Its not very golden colored, more clear like, but a very faint yellow. Looking at the ingredients on the bottle, it has a very generic list of ingredients, and say to look at the cap for more information. My guess would be that all of Johnnie Ryan's flavors have the same basic bottle, different soda and caps. I really was expecting to drink "cane sugar soda" as is prominent on the label. The soda itself, really doesn't have a very gingery smell to it. Had I not looked at the cap, I wouldn't have been trying to get the ginger scent, and probably would have said it had no real scent (again, with PD, could just be me YMMV). Its a very crisp soda, not tart not sweet, I'd call this a very adult soda. Adults who don't want to drink syrupy sweet soda, but still want a soda, not water. I would say if you took off the cap, and just handed me the bottle I'm not so sure I'd be able to pick on the ginger and call it a ginger ale. This fits into sit one down in front of me and I'll drink it, but don't think I'll purchase myself again.

No comments: